Agricultural Research Institute Website - Lebanon
Government Research for improving production in Lebanon dates back to the establishment of Tel Amara Station in the Bekaa Valley immediately after World War II as an agricultural training center. Later, in 1957, it became the Department of Agricultural Scientific Research of the Ministry of Agriculture. Other stations were established at Tourbol (Bekaa) for animal production, Abde (North) and Sour (South) for citrus.
In 1964, the Department of Agricultural Scientific Research was reorganized as an autonomous public institution and became the Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute (LARI) working under the supervision of the Minister of Agriculture. More research stations were established at Fanar (Mount Lebanon) for animal health and agriculture, at Kfarshakhna (North) for soil, irrigation and farm machinery research. Both Tourbol and Kfardane were later, in the late seventies, handed over to the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA).
The institute conducts applied and basic scientific research for the development and advancement of the agricultural sector in Lebanon. In addition, the Institute keeps close ties to the farmers and tries to develop research activities aiming at solving their problems.